Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Star Crossed

They laid out there on the hood of the car like they were teenagers.
"When was the last time you did this?" he asked.
"Must've been years and years ago," she said. "It's nice, though. We should do this more often."
"Yeah," he said. "Maybe next time bring some other people with us? Make it a party."
She was silent for a moment.
"Or no?" he said.
She snuggled up to him and pointed up into the twinkling abyss. "Look at that one. Is that Orion?"
"No, Orion only shows up during the winter. I'm not sure what that is. Probably aliens."
"Probably." She smiled. He loved it when she smiled.
"Can I ask you a question? I mean, in addition to this one? And that one-- you know what I mean," he said. He sat up a little and rested on his elbow.
"Of course. You know you can ask me anything," she said.
"Are we--"
"Yeah," she said. She shifted and mimicked the way he was laying. He smiled.
"So, that means I can..."
She rested her hand on his cheek. "Won't know until you try." She looked nervous. He was nervous.
Like butterflies breakdancing in his tummy.
He leaned in and brushed her lips with his.
"Yeah..." he said.
They kissed and it was like a thousand tiny lightbulbs came on for the first time. After an eternity of bliss they broke apart and she laid her head on his chest.
"You're better at that than I thought you would be," she said.
"Oh really? Because you were just as terrible as I imagined you would be. Like kissing my mother."
"You kiss your mother like that?"
"Shut up," he laughed and kissed her on the top of her head.
"It's so beautiful," she said and pointed up toward the sky again. He ran his fingers through her hair and smiled.
"Absolutely gorgeous."

1 comment:

  1. Right at the end I expected the dude's gag about aliens to be a twist ending actual alien abduction. This is D. Booth Sanford and I am posting this anonymously because I don't care to figure out how to log in.

    ReplyDelete