Monday, July 9, 2012

Monkey

"Mmm," The Monkey thought. "This is one good piece of fruit."
"Margaret? Honey?"
"Yes, dear?" Margaret said from the kitchen. She appeared in the doorway dressed simply in a red apron. She beamed at Monkey. "You're so cute."
"What?" Monkey said, a little bit of fruit hanging from his chin. "What'd I do?"
Margaret approached Monkey, wiped his face clean with a dish rag she had tucked in her apron, and kissed him gently on the check. "You always get food on your face."
"Oh! Sorry," Monkey said.
"What did you need?"
"Where did you get this fruit? It's delicious!"
"From the market, like always," Margaret said. She'd already started back into the kitchen to start on dinner. "I was thinking of doing chicken tonight? Is that okay?"
"Yeah, that sounds great," He said. " What time will it be ready?"
"I was thinking... 8 o'clock?"
"Perfect. Just in time for The Big Bang Theory," He said, excitedly.
Margaret peeked her head from around the corner. "Why do you like that show?"
"What do you mean?"
"I just don't get it. It's nothing but stereotypes and there's a laugh track."
"I don't know. After a hard day at work I guess I just want something mindless, you know?"
"I suppose," Margaret said. "Just seems like all TV is trash nowaways. You should read a book instead."
Monkey shrugged and finished his fruit. After cleaning up he made his way into the living room. Margaret's cell phone beeped, letting her know she received a text message.
"Hey, you got a--" Monkey stopped when he saw the screen. "Mitch? I didn't know they still talked."
Margaret peeked her out from the kitchen again, "You say something?"
"Oh, no, honey. Nothing," Monkey said. He smiled, she smiled and she resumed preparing dinner.
"This doesn't make sense, "Monkey thought. "She hasn't talked to him in years. Why would he..." His blood ran cold.
Mitch was an old flame and even after their relationship ended he never stopped pursuing Margaret. There was even a time when he thought they were having an affair. "Shake it off. This is stupid," his brain told him. But his finger's were already swiping the screen, his gut telling him something different.

"Margie, are we still on for tonight? I haven't heard from you in a couple of days," The text read.
His fingers were already responding, his brain screaming in protest. "Of course.... where?" He texted back.
"Margaret. Bill from the office just called me and said I left some things up there. I'm going to go grab it, okay? Shouldn't take more than an hour," he called out.
"Oh okay. Well, be back by 8, okay?"
Monkey walked into the kitchen and saw his wife giving Mitch a blowjob. She threw her head back, staring at Monkey. "He's so much bigger than you, "she laughed.
"Honey?" Are you okay?" Margaret said. He snapped back to reality, shook his head and smiled. "I'm fine."
"Be careful, okay? I love you," she said.
"I love you too." He said, blankly.
He smiled and walked back into the living room to gather his things. He glanced back at her phone and noticed there was another text. Monkey stared at the screen for a moment before taking note of Mitch's location.
"I can't wait to see you!" the text read.
Monkey deleted the texts from Margaret's phone and grabbed his keys.
"Can't wait to see you, either."

No comments:

Post a Comment